Sweet Potato & Broccoli Salad with Apples
Autumn’s best ingredients combined in a zesty, nutritious side dish.
- 4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ¼ teaspoon iodized salt, plus additional to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, plus additional to taste
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ orange, juiced and zested
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 medium apples, diced
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Place sweet potato cubes and broccoli florets on a baking sheet and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of oil; toss gently to coat.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast for 15 minutes. Turn and continue roasting for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together balsamic vinegar, orange juice, orange zest and crushed red pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine potatoes and broccoli, with apples, almonds and remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Gently toss with balsamic dressing. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Tip: Add 1 tablespoon of honey to the dressing for a sweeter alternative.
Recipe courtesy of the ALDI test kitchen. Visit ALDI.us for more kid-friendly recipes!