Southwest Stuffed Peppers
All your favorite parts of a veggie burrito but with a different shell.
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1¼ teaspoons iodized salt, divided, plus additional to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 3 bell peppers, halved and seeded
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, plus additional to taste
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- ½ cup button mushrooms, diced
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- ½ cup black beans
- ½ cup frozen sweet corn
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 avocado, sliced
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
- Heat grill to medium-high heat.
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add rice, ¼ teaspoon salt, remaining seasonings and return to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 18 minutes.
- Season peppers with oil and remaining salt and pepper. Grill for 4 minutes each side.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet, sauté garlic, onions, jalapeños, zucchini and mushrooms for 5 minutes.
- Add rice, tomatoes, cilantro, beans and corn. Sauté for 5 minutes, season to taste with salt, pepper and lime juice.
- Scoop rice filling into grilled peppers and top with sliced avocado.
TIP: For a spicier dish, use poblano peppers if available.
Recipe courtesy of the ALDI test kitchen. Visit ALDI.us for more kid-friendly recipes!