Roasted Acorn Squash & Brussels Sprouts
This hearty side dish is full of vitamin C and fiber.
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 acorn squash, halved, seeded and sliced
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, halved
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- ¾ teaspoon iodized salt, plus additional to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, plus additional to taste
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- 1 tablespoon organic wildflower honey
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 33 minutes
Total time: 48 minutes
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Place walnuts on a baking sheet and bake for 8 minutes or until toasted. Reserve.
- Meanwhile, place squash and Brussels sprouts on a baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper, and bake for 25 minutes or until crisp on the outside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together orange zest, juice, honey, vinegar and remaining tablespoon of oil to create the dressing. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss vegetables with dressing, walnuts and pomegranate seeds. Transfer to platter and serve.
Recipe courtesy of the ALDI test kitchen. Visit ALDI.us for more kid-friendly recipes!
Health news, tips, and recipes right in your inbox
Sign up for the Parents for Healthy Kids newsletter to receive monthly resources, recipes, news and more on your journey to be a health advocate for your kids. It really is news you can use!