Meatless Meatballs with Zucchini Noodles
This plant-based spaghetti and “meatball” dish is a lighter, vegetarian-friendly take on the classic dinnertime favorite.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups diced onion
- ¼ cup chopped garlic
- 16 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 2 slices of toasted, whole-grain bread
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 2 cups walnuts
- ¼ cup milled flax seed
- 2 teaspoons parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon iodized salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 large zucchini, spiralized
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 3⁄4 cups marinara pasta sauce
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Total time: 55 minutes
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- For the meatballs: In a medium sauté pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Sauté the onions, garlic and mushrooms until golden and pan is dry. Remove from heat.
- In a food processor, add the toasted bread and pulse until finely ground.
- Add remaining ingredients and pulse until consistency of ground beef. Form 28 balls and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes.
- In batches, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat. Sauté 1/3 of the zucchini for 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove from pan and keep warm. Repeat with remaining 2 teaspoons oil and 2/3 zucchini. Plate zucchini, top with sauce and meatballs.
Tip: To make this a gluten free recipe, replace the bread with whole grain gluten-free bread.
Recipe courtesy of the ALDI test kitchen. Visit ALDI.us for more kid-friendly recipes!
Health news, tips, and recipes right in your inbox
Sign up for the Parents for Healthy Kids newsletter to receive monthly resources, recipes, news and more on your journey to be a health advocate for your kids. It really is news you can use!