Apply for a School Grant
School grants—made for you
OK, so you’re ready to make change happen at school! Despite wanting to do what’s best for students’ health, many schools lack the necessary resources to implement health and wellness practices that help students eat better and stay physically active. Action for Healthy Kids has provided $8.7 million in grants to schools since 2009 to help them accomplish their student wellness goals.
Applications for parent-led grants for the 2019-2020 school year open on Feb. 4, 2019. These grants, which are sponsored by ALDI, are designed for parents or parent groups (e.g. PTAs, PTOs, other) to lead school-based physical activity or nutrition initiatives and to engage more parents in student and family health.
Grants for $1,000 are available for K-12 schools in the following states: AL, AR, CA, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, IA, IL, IN, KS, KY, MA, MD, MI, MN, MO, MS, NC, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OH, OK, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, VA, VT, WI, WV. Schools with greater than 50% of students eligible for free/reduced-priced meals may receive priority, as well as schools located within 15 miles of an ALDI store, but all schools are encouraged to apply.
Want to learn more? Review the application and applications instructions:
- Nutrition Project Application Instruction Guide
- Nutrition Project Paper Application
- Physical Activity Project Application Instruction Guide
- Physical Activity Project Paper Application
How to Apply
- Review the paper application and application instructions above.
- Register for the grant webinar to learn about specific grant details and eligibility requirements and receive helpful tips for applying.
- We recommend you complete a paper application with your school health team prior to submitting your application online. Once the paper application is complete, it will take ~30 minutes to submit online. (No school health team? Learn how to start one or contact [email protected] for support.)
- Log in or create an account on the Action for Healthy Kids school portal. Applications must be submitted online.
- Once there, connect your account with the school(s) for which you are applying. To do this, click on My Profile, then the Add or Manage Schools button.
- Click on Grants, and select the parent-led grant. Then, complete your application!
Deadlines & More Info
- Monday, February 4, 2019 – School portal opens to accept applications
- Friday, April 5, 2019 – Applications due
- Monday, May 13, 2019 – Award notifications
- Friday, May 31, 2019 – School Terms and Conditions due
If your school is interested in a school breakfast or Game On (geared toward school professionals and school health teams for nutrition and physical activity initiatives) grant, visit ActionforHealthyKids.org/Grants to learn more.