Dad’s Sloppy Turkey Sandwich
Kids will love this healthy upgrade of a classic camp favorite.
- ½ tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 celery, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon iodized table salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup BBQ sauce
- ½ cup chunky marinara pasta sauce
- 19.2 ounces 93% lean fresh ground turkey
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
- In a large sauté pan, heat vegetable oil over medium heat. Sauté onion, carrot and celery until softened, about 8 minutes. Add zucchini and red pepper and continue cooking until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste and cook for 30 seconds. Add spices, stir until fragrant. Transfer vegetable mixture to a blender along with barbecue sauce and chunky marinara. Blend until smooth.
- In a large sauté pan, over medium heat, cook ground turkey, about 10 minutes. Stir in sauce, bring to a boil and lower to a simmer. Continue cooking for 10 minutes.
- Serve with hamburger buns, or over rice or mashed potatoes.
Recipe courtesy of the ALDI test kitchen. Visit ALDI.us for more kid-friendly recipes!
Health news, tips, and recipes right in your inbox
Sign up for the Parents for Healthy Kids newsletter to receive monthly resources, recipes, news and more on your journey to be a health advocate for your kids. It really is news you can use!